Monday 1 March 2010

w/e 21/2/10 - Do You Dream of a Journey, Taking You Back to Your Home...

…Where the cry from the heart of the Highlands lives on

A wonderful week’s training in a wonderful place. Back in my spiritual home, albeit a new area for discovery.

We headed off on the Sunday to stay in Perthshire and recce a set route ;-) with the plan being to cover 80+ miles over 5 days. Kirsten had found a great place to stay – a hostel a mile outside Aberfeldy, which we had to ourselves for the duration of our stay :-)

And as we headed over the border and into more remote and wild scenery, I felt uplifted, as I always do when I make this journey.

I actually flew once, taking a plane to Inverness before hiring a car….and, sure, it saved a wee bit of time, but I vowed never to do it again because you miss the journey, the transition from wild Borders country, through the tenements and dire greyness of Glasgow, to the first glimpses of the big mountains of Loch Lomond-side until you finally arrive on that narrow twisting road along its shore, before descending into Crianlarich,which is truly the “gateway to the Highlands”.

But this time, we headed off a different way, going east towards Stirling from Glasgow, before taking the road over the Pass of Ledi and down into Killin (and memories of a glorious snowy group trip up there a few years ago) , before heading past Ben Lawers and Loch Tay to arrive in Aberfeldy.

I’ll blog separately about the week itself, there’s so much I want to record that it would get a bit much in the midst of all this.

But suffice to say, we ended up covering about 70 miles of the route. Throw in a few loops back etc and my mileage was 93 for the trip, together with 10,400ft of ascent.

Having travelled back on the Friday afternoon, then travelled down and back to the Midlands on the Saturday, I was feeling tired on Sunday!

But, of course, being so close to 100 miles for the week, I had to go out again!! So a trip from home, over to Stoodley, across Erringden Moor, down into Mytholmroyd and finally back up over Scout Rock, gave me another 10 miles and 2,000ft to take me up to my biggest week ever.

Which, to be honest, has left me shattered, but I know it will pay dividends in due course. Following my 3 weeks build-up, 1 week cut back training method, the last week of February should be an easier week….about time too!!! :-)

Whereas, for Kirsten, having done over 80miles last week, it’s a 50-miler for her on Saturday 27th…..I’m glad I don’t have to do that!!!

Total for the week – 103miles & 12,400ft

Update: Kirsten continues to amaze and inspire me, by not only completing her first 50-miler (no problem!), but also coming back 1st Lady!!! YOU STAR!!!

2 comments:

  1. WOW - very well done Kirsten :-) Good luck for the weekend's 50 x

    ReplyDelete