Tuesday 2 February 2010

w/e 31/1/10 - I Live For The Spirit I Am

Physical exercise and hard work is a funny thing. When you get out of the habit, it can be very difficult to get going again, everything seems like such an effort, enthusiasm is lacking and bouts of exercise leaving you feeling drained.

But conversely, once you get into the groove, exercise is so addictive, often feeling effortless, leaving you on a high and those endorphins flow through you, leaving you with a permanent (stupid?!) grin!!

After going through the former, I'm currently falling into that latter category without a doubt! Several good weeks of training in a row, pushing myself harder than I have been and, instead of feeling fit to drop, the motivation levels have soared, the legs are feeling good, the enthusiasm for new runs and events is strong and I'm loving my running.

And it has such a positive effect on your life when you feel like that. After some dark and difficult days over the last few months, the energy is back, there's lots to look forwards to (although there always was and is lots to look forward to, of course), the smile is back on my face and the spring is both metaphorically and literally back in my step. Life occasionally drags you down, but if you stick with it, good things generally happen :-)

Make no mistake, this was a good week. In fact a good 10 days of tough running, and though the legs will need a bit of rest at some point, these strong patches pay handsome dividends in the long run (no pun intended!).

Following on from last weekend's decent run at the Hebden, and my resolve to keep at or above 10,000ft a week from now on, I took Monday as a rest day but then headed over to Stoodley on Tuesday to do 5 reps. Someone has now confirmed to me that the climb up the steep side is roughly 500ft, so it's a perfect slope to use. The legs warmed up fairly quickly and I felt good. It was cold out again though.

Wednesday saw me head over to Littleborough for a club run. Another poor turn-out for the bat run - just 5 hardy souls. I was looking for a fairly gentle run, but the only people going out bat-running were me, Dave S and 3 of the fasties. Nothing for it then, best put an effort in!! We headed up through Wardle and over to the reservoir on a lovely route, before dropping back to Summit and a couple of miles back along the canal. The pace was fast-ish, but I felt fine, strong on the ups, able to keep pace on the descents. An excellent run and myself and Dave committed to going out with the faster group every week. I need pushing on like that, I do still have pace and can get back to some decent race results. The only exception I'll make is weeks when I've trained hard on the Tuesday or I've got a race at the weekend I really want to prepare for.

Thursday was a rest day, but Friday saw me head out first thing with Kirsten for a 6.5 mile run down to Mytholmroyd, up to Erringden Moor, down into Cragg Vale and then back over Scout Rock. It was a smashing early run, it started snowing a little bit as we came down through the woods but there was also plenty of sunshine.

Once back home and fed and watered, I headed out again in the early afternoon to do some more reps on Stoodley. Again, the legs felt fine and I enjoyed being up there.

The weekend saw us heading up to the Lakes. I had no idea what the conditions would be like, but was looking forward to it anyway.

First of all, a trip into Pete Blands...a new pair of Mudclaws for me, a new waterproof for Kirsten, plus a surprise purchase of a little pocket book of Scottish hill runs. Get a copy if you like running over the border, it's a great little reference book.

Then we headed up to Dunmail to recce some of leg 3. We climbed directly up Steel Fell, which got quite interesting near the top, with little grip on the icy grass. Kirsten was a bit spooked by it, which transferred across to me just near the top, where I struggled with one step up. But we got there, trotted along to the summit, then headed off to Calf Crag. Conditions up there were good, with the usual bog being frozen and crispy.


From there we headed up Mere Beck towards Sargeant Man and here the fun started! There were considerable stretches of ice and very icy snow. A couple of times, as it got steep, we thought we might have to turn back, but each turn, we found an alternative and safer way up.

And before long, we emerged onto the plateau leading towards the summit, where the conditions were absolutely glorious. We could have been forgiven for thinking we were in the Alps, wonderful snow and ice fields and blazing sunshine. Some of the finest conditions I've ever experienced on the fells.

As we headed across to High Raise, 4 runners were coming towards us. "I bet we know them!" I said and, sure enough, it was Phil and the others from the hut, having had a major day out over Scafell etc.

From High Raise, we headed back the way we'd come, feeling much more confident on the snow and ice than we had earlier. We got back to Steel Fell and decided to drop down the southern ridge before cutting back to the car and the end of a stunning, wonderful outing.

A lovely couple of pints in the ODG, a tasty Pie and Pea supper, and a reasonably early night (but little sleep, dormitory rooms are NOT good!!!)

Sunday morning saw us up at 6.15am!!! A quick breakfast, pack up and head for Kendal and the That's Lyth LDWA event, 23.5 miles and 3,200ft.

We met up with Emma at the Scout Hut, got our tags and were ready for the off on a freezing cold morning (the car had registered -5). Legs were tired from the previous day, but we soon broke into a trot as we headed off on a beautiful morning along a smashing route, touring the "scars" above Kendal.

It's somewhere I've never run or walked, always zooming past towards the big mountains. But it was lovely, and there was plenty of climbing. The views across to the main fells were stunning and quite surreal.

We plodded on, digging deep to summon up energy. Kirsten was tired, and quite rightly so..a massive week of around 47.5 miles and 7.500ft! That's more like BG training, not someone who only started running last March!! Time to back off for a week soon, young lady, and let your body adapt to the stress you're putting it under.

There was a long stretch of road towards teh last checkpoint, which knocked us mentally, but once back onto fellside, we got going again and had a good descent into Kendal and the finish. An absolutely lovely day, a nice route, great company, nice chat, a meet up with K's friend Norman again and a lift arranged for her to Norfolk. Food, tea, a coffee to take with us and we headed back home, to the Fox for a couple of pints then a takeaway to round off a great weekend and an excellent training week.

Total for the week - 55.5 miles and 11,700ft

I'll be getting in my 10,000ft this week, but backing off a bit to allow my legs some recovery in time for the Valleys on Sunday. Still to decide whether to really go for it myself, or see Kirsten round. I'll probably see how the week's training goes.

But one thing's for certain.....I live for the spirit I am :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment