Friday 5 February 2010

I meant every word that I said, yeah I really did....

But you gotta understand that I was sleeping then
So relax!


A couple of blogs ago, I alluded to the fact that, in my mind, I'm quite clear now that living in Calderdale is not a long-term situation, and that to some extent, I don't regard the running done around here as "fellrunning". I feel, for my own peace of mind and as some kind of exorcism in writing, I ought to record why.

(and note, this is just my view, others hold the view that Yorkshire fellrunning is what it's all about...and they're entitled to that opinion!)

Since being a young lad, I've always had a great love for the mountains, scenery and culture of the Scottish highlands. Early trips included holidays around Glencoe, Kintail, Sutherland and a walking group holiday to Skye. Great memories of days on "serious" mountains followed by evenings sat by a burn while my Dad cooked sizzling steaks on a gas stove and smoked cigars to keep the midges at bay!

I've talked about moving up there for as long as I can remember. But life interferes with those plans sometimes, and in particular, raising my son was my biggest priority, particularly once I was a single dad.

But time moves on, he's now an adult in his own right, making his way in the world and I have new freedom to choose what to do with my life.

The move to Calderdale was not one I would have planned, not somewhere I'd ever considered or even really visited up until a couple of years ago. But circumstances lead me to this area (no complaints, "I meant everything that I said, yeah I really did"!) and certainly, it's been a good move in terms of severing some ties with the past (I'd lived in my old house for 18 years, and you can become too "comfortable" in one place) and recognising new opportunities.

But right from the first time I came up here for a run, I well remember complaining that it wasn't "proper" running terrain. Having spent my fellrunning time mainly on the Shropshire fells or in the Lakes, I was used to the fact that, if you wanted to get from A to B, you plotted a reasonably direct route and just did it. In Calderdale, if you decide to do that, you're likely to end up in thigh-deep tussocks, or lost in boggy wasteland, barely getting into a running rhythm.

Plus, wherever you go, you're never far from civilisation and you're likely to come across buildings. Contrast this even with Shropshire, where, once you're up on the fells, you'll not see much sign of human life.

I commented on that back in January 2008, when I came up to do the Hebden, and I still feel that way now. Light pollution in the area is massive, rarely do you get to see the stars, as I used to in Shropshire.

But that's not to say I don't make the most of it and enjoy it. There are some great things about the area....the people and their attitude towards getting outdoors, the network of paths, the accessibility.

But I still long for days out in the Lakes, yearn for more time spent in Scotland and positively relish trips back to the Mynd and surrounding hills, where the running is fast and tough.

So what does this all mean? Essentially that life is too short to have regrets. I've always wanted to live in Scotland and the plan is to do so in the medium-term. Things need to stabilise a bit first so no mad rush, but then plans will be made and it will happen.

Time, and this move to Calderdale, have helped to focus attention on the questions that arise about living up there though. Once upon a time, I'd have said I wanted to live in as remote a place as possible. Whilst this still appeals on one level, I know that the ability to get to other places reasonably quickly is important to me and therefore transport links will be a major factor.

But that doesn't limit too much these days. There are great train links from the southern highlands via Glasgow, and there are air links from somewhere like Inverness.

Likewise, the ability to take part in fellrunning, both at races and training with a club, are quite important. But a wee bit of research indicates there are plenty of both over the border these days, and with good transport links, the Lakes will also be accessible for races.

Otherwise, my requirements for life are quite simple - some great mountains, some running shoes and equipment, a modest but decent, warm place to call home, some good food, a wee bit of drink, and someone to share that with who feels the same way. I see no reason why those aren't all possible, and why my views should change in the least :-)

And Scotland is THE best place in the world. As I toil up Stoodley Pike doing hill reps, looking up at a 500ft slope, topped by a man-made monument, I imagine those 2000ft+ slopes in the highlands, huge corries dotted with herds of deer, burns trickling down the hillside and a remoteness not found elsewhere in the UK. I can't wait!!!

We're off again in a couple of weeks (this time to Perthshire), we were last up at Lochinver in November.....and if anyone is in doubt as what an incredible place it is (and I'm clearly not!), perhaps these will persuade?










2 comments:

  1. In one week we will be in the Heart of Scotland, in one year we shall call it our home and look up to a ceiling full of starts x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "stars" you mean? ;-) We will indeed, and I can't wait :-)
    But in the meantime, back to hard training for both of us!! A lot to focus on between now and then!

    ReplyDelete