Saturday 19 December 2009

We are our own saviours....

Snow comes to West Yorkshire and turns the fells into an exciting playground :-)

Which sort of puts all that last post into perspective. Or not, as the case may be. Perhaps it's my age, perhaps it's circumstances and events. Perhaps I'm getting a realisation that I've been planning the BG for other people rather than myself? To prove something to others? To pretend I am as good as them?

At the end of the day, it's just a day out in the hills. There are people I know who've done it and who admire both for their achievements on the fells and as people. Then there are people I know who've done it, who I respect for that achievement but who are, quite frankly, not the sort of people I'd like to be or be associated with.

And therein lies the enlightenment...the BG won't make me a better person, it might gain me "acceptance" from some people (including those whose acceptance I don't crave) but actually, I'm no longer very interested in that. I'm even getting to the point of feeling that I don't need to prove anything to myself either.

So where does that leave me? Either it leaves me deciding that I'm not bothered and to shelve the idea, and go back to just enjoying the fells for what they are....beautiful and real. Or it strips away all the "wrong" reasons for doing it and leaves me with just a pure desire to have a nice day out and get myself around those 42 peaks because I CAN.

Alternatively, of course, both this post and the last could just be dismissed as a load of self-indulgent claptrap (which they UNDOUBTEDLEY are!)and just a slight veering off course on the path between birth and death, which happens all the time and is nothing to write home about (or indeed write a blog about!).

Anyway, as you were......

Finish with a photo.....lovely snowy fells yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment