Monday 12 April 2010

w/e 11/4/10 - Welcome to the Jungle....

Or at least that's what it seems
You never see the cages, the illusion is you're free
Every day's a lesson, delivered with a smile
To remind you there's no future on this planet for a creature truly wild..........

In a week when every time I turn on the radio, there's more inane and meaningless chatter and discussion and arguments about the election, it's been great to have our first proper weekend of the year up in the Lakes, and our first night of the year under canvas!! Somehow it all puts it into perspective, demonstrates what's TRULY important, and strengthens my belief that somehow I don't really feel part of this "modern world" and the future is in moving back from it, and keeping it at the periphery of my life.

It's been another splendid week, with the injuries responding well to the increase in training. The knee problem seems to have completely vanished for now, despite the pounding the knees got this weekend. The ankle is healing well and every run where I don't twist an ankle is a step on the road to full recovery. Even the achilles seems to be responding to more exercise.

Great to catch up with Andy K this weekend as well, and for him to recall that he had a similar (or larger) lump on his achilles for even longer, and got rid of it through some exercises which he demonstrated - I'll be doing them religiously from now on!

So the training week started with a fantastic club run out on Tuesday night, away up to Erringden Moor, Dicks Lane, Stoodley, down to London Road then back via various paths. I started off feeling quite awkward in my gait, but a "race" up to Stoodley with Barbara saw me putting in a reasonably hard effort, and it's amazing how your running style loosens up when you push yourself! I thoroughly enjoyed the run and it was great to be pushed by a couple of people. Fair play for Kirsten hanging on in there with the group quite easily as well!

Thursday's run was a lovely trot out with Kirsten and Jo, doing several up and downs around Stoodley...I think they enjoyed it ;-) A beautiful evening, took it relatively easy but felt good.

And so to the weekend, and a marked change in the weather.....snow mostly gone from the tops, blazing sunshine and soaring temperatures!!! A great weekend to pick to go to the Lakes!!

Saturday saw us arrive at lunchtime and set up camp near Rosthwaite. Then we parked up at Honister, trudged up the BG route to Dale Head in glorious hot weather, dropped down to Dalehead Tarn on a pretty much perfect grassy line which we'll need to replicate on Anni Waltz day. Then down into the valley from there, to Low Snab Farm, then Newlands Church, before heading up Robinson, taking the left hand line past the reservoir and turning up by the waterfall...much quicker I think!

From there, we contoured out to Hindscarth, ran back along to Dale Head and dropped down at a reasonable pace to Honister. A smashing day out, but very warm in the sun...our bodies aren't acclimatised yet!!

Back to the tent for a delicious bbq, then along to the Scafell Hotel for a couple of pints with Emma and Andy, before crashing into our sleeping bags, to end a great day.

But Sunday was even better!! An early start to trot down to Rosthwaite village hall and register for the Lakes, Ridges and Wainwrights LDWA event. Although there was cloud cover at this stage, the forecast was for warm sunshine later...and it didn't disappoint!!

At 8.30am, we were off, initially taking a bad line right at the bridge instead of left, which lost us a few minutes straight away!! Doh!! But once back on track, we climbed up through the old mines and soon enough were heading up to High Spy and along that ridge. Great running on good terrain, then a good descent down to Low Snab Farm for a doughnut and the first of many drinks during the day!!

I was starting to wake up and feeling good, and while Andy and Emma were still scoffing and nattering, I pottered off for the climb up Hindscarth, assuming they'd catch up with me at some stage.

And what a long slog of a climb, although an interesting one. I passed a lot of people here, the "runners" who'd gone off too fast! Also passed and chatted to the Irish guy I've seen at lots of these LDWA events.

Eventually the top of Hindscarth was reached, then a good descent and re-ascent up to Robinson on the BG trod. I was surprised Andy and Emma hadn't caught me up by now, but I guess I was actually going at a reasonable pace.

At the top of Robinson, I joined up with a group of 4 lads and 2 lasses, who led me a cracking steep descent down to High Snockrigg and then over and down into Buttermere, and the delights of CP2, where rice pudd and fruit salad was being served....a godsend! I sat and ate for 5 minutes.

As I left and headed around Buttermere, I met up with a walker (who lives in Kendal) and, in the spirit of these events, decided it was much nicer to walk along and chat with him than run this section. An interesting conversation ensued about how fellrunners (generally) aren't very quick ascenders when walking, and how he seemed to be catching them on ascents. So, of course, I had to make sure I put in some effort up to Scarth Gap ;-) but he's right - it was noticeable how many folks I passed on each ascent.

From the top of Scarth Gap, Haystacks still looked enormous, towering above, and this was probably my "low point" of the day, where the distance, ascent and, more importantly, heat got to me a little and I had a few wobbly leg moments!

But soon enough I was trotting down towards Honister and peeling off left to take a grassy rake rather than the awful slate path! Into Honister and another check point where I sat in one of the chairs, enjoyed a drink or two and a nice chat with the marshalls.

Then off up the BG route to Dale Head in baking hot sunshine, but on a mission to put a decent effort in. Sure enough, the top was reached in 32 minutes, quite happy with that! Then the descent, where I missed the line slightly, probably being cursed by the guy who was following me and seemed to slow to a walk! :-)

Met up with another guy at the tarn, who is training for the Lakeland 100 and had done 80 miles in the previous 3 days! I took him along the trod to the stile, then zoomed down the grass as he followed the path...no contest! I followed a couple of runners down the very runnable lower slopes, knees now complaining a lot, before crossing the river and heading back into the hall for some welcome food and drink, finishing in 6hrs 12mins. A smashing day on the fells.

I welcomed Emma and Andy back in shortly after that, then decided I'd put my shoes back on and go back up to meet Kirsten....but of course she chose that moment to come trotting in, looking fresh as a daisy and with a beautiful, beaming smile on her face! What an absolute star she is!! It's alright for me, I'm BG training and I've got years of climbing my legs. But for her, to put in a weekend like that with only a year of running under her belt is astonishing. Future BGer? If she wants it enough ;-)

After feeding Kirsten, we headed back home for the obligatory pint in the Fox with Rufus, before devouring a chinese and collapsing into bed to mark the end of a fabulous weekend :-)

Things are back on course at the moment then. Who's to say how long that will last, but I'll take it for now! BG for the 19th? Yep, I think so at the moment, as long as the next couple of weekends go well. Woldsman 50-miler this weekend, then the Teenager with Altitude followed by a BG recce the weekend after. Crunch time approaches.

Oh, and this week's special mention goes to Emma...another remarkable lass! A really tough day's BG recce on the Saturday, but she was still strong at the event on Sunday and ran Dale Head in 24 minutes!! Nowt can stop you Emma, the BG is well, well within your grasp!!

Total for the week - 50mls & 14,500ft

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back on your feet & looking strong, but most of all the glow you emit from the sheer pleasure of "doing what you do"...the BG is also within your grasp ;-)

    ...as for Emma, what a tough lady!! To breeze around after a previous long day out & very little sleep. Bow down! I shall look forward to seeing you on road support along the way of your BG, & ultimately as you come in ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww - thanks guys!!! that's lovely of you both, was a great weekend all round, lets hope the sun is on order for both attempts :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very jealous of you all. Sounds like a classic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great weekend. You're certainly getting the miles and ft in. Best of luck to you, and Emma.

    ReplyDelete